Saturday, January 9, 2010

Healthcare reform

Looking forward to the demise of our healthcare system. Our President for some reason thinks that the VA Healthcare system is an ideal one. Has he ever been in there??

I'm disgusted that our president, who I voted for, is more interested in making deals with pharmaceutical companies than truly interested in finding solutions - i.e. lowering costs. The reform does not talk about capping malpractice lawsuits at all. If anything, we should work on malpractice and the entire medical education system needs to be revived since defensive medicine is so intermixed with the general practice of medicine that most physicians can't tell one apart from another. There are several big county hospitals all around the country that still utilize hand written notes. I'm glad that our president has addressed this issue and wants to fix it.

But some of the models that I've heard from the president and his so called advisors are baffling. Incentive based payment of physicians for example. Perhaps that president needs to realize that when a physician treats the patient, the patients role in his/her health is just as important as a physicians. So, even though a physician may do everything appropriately if the patient neglects to follow a good diet or take medications, in this system the physician gets penalized for it. Additionally, medical education in the United States is much more expensive than 99% of the countries. This is yet another issue that the president needs to address.

No comments: